TITLE: Community Impact Coordinator and Labor Liaison
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for implementing the Stable Families initiatives of United Way of St. Joseph County within the following areas: Team HEAT, Emergency Food and Shelter, People Gotta’ Eat, Kindness to Prevent Blindness, Project Lead the Way, and Double Market Bucks. As Coordinator, he/she is responsible for all aspects of the coordination of financial stability programs, including: planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting. Additionally, this position is responsible for supporting UWSJC’s Community Impact agenda as well as the administration of the COVID-19 Response Fund.
This position is also responsible for fulfilling the responsibilities associated with being a liaison between the labor community and United Way of St. Joseph County. As labor liaison, he/she will continue to strengthen the long-term relationship between the AFL-CIO labor councils and involve members of the labor movement in the leadership, support and implementation of needed human services programs, through volunteerism and giving, provided by the United Way of St. Joseph County.
The job duties and responsibilities are uniquely assigned in the following focus areas:
- Stable Families Programs: ensure program success by performing tasks such as those listed as follows:
- Lead implementation of the strategic direction of the Stable Families impact area.
- Provide direct supervision, coaching and evaluation to Stable Families and Critical Needs Impact Partners.
- Integrate United Way of St. Joseph County’s mission in all activities and program development.
- Develop partnerships with nonprofit organizations, community businesses and key stakeholders within the community to support Stable Families programs.
- Assist in identifying, securing, administering and reporting on grants which advance the work of the Stable Families impact area.
- Monitor trends related to social issues affecting poverty and financial stability throughout the region.
- Share reports on stable Families topics.
- Participate in local coalitions to stay in tune with St. Joseph County issues, and to help mobilize resources.
- Work cooperatively with other United Way staff to set priorities, coordinate activities, and resolve issues.
- Create and implement an effective service delivery model of the United Way of St. Joseph County’s Stable Families programs (currently Team HEAT, Emergency Food & Shelter, BankOn, Double Market Bucks, Kindness to Prevent Blindness, Project Lead the Way and People Gotta’ Eat).
- Manage and oversee budgets that support Stable Families and its programs.
- Perform other essential duties as requested by the President and CEO
- Labor Liaison
Implement the AFL-CIO Community Services Program:
- Provide community services to union members and other people in the community.
- Improve support systems, public and private, for workers and their families so they are better served.
- Assist active, retired workers and their families to become and remain self-sufficient and thrive.
- Establish a program of Community Services within the Labor Council.
- Develop and maintain relationships with public and community agencies and service providers.
- Promote and implement community activities and projects for labor and the United Way of St. Joseph County.
Cultivate AFL-CIO United Way Partnerships:
- Attend meetings of the labor groups and provide reports to assure full awareness of United Way of St. Joseph County efforts/opportunities.
- Serve as a liaison to local unions to assure clear understanding of the United Way of St. Joseph County and AFL-CIO partnership.
- Inspire labor participation on the United Way of St. Joseph County Board of Directors and Committees by recruiting active and positive union leaders.
- Facilitate regular communication between the chief officers of the labor councils and the United Way of St. Joseph County.
- Explore areas of collaboration for the Community Impact Goals of the United Way of St. Joseph County including Early Learning, Youth Success and Stable Families.
- Promote, recruit and organize volunteers for projects such as the Postal Carriers’ Food Drive and Workers’ Memorial Day.
- Promote labor support for the United Way’s LIVE UNITED objectives – Give, Advocate, and Volunteer.
Fulfill Administrative Responsibilities:
- Develop an annual work plan, with input and final approval from the AFL-CIO and United Way of St. Joseph County, covering the key areas of responsibility in this job description.
- Provide regular work plan progress updates to the President& CEO of the United Way of St. Joseph County.
- Attend appropriate AFL-CIO and United Way meetings and conferences with budget approval from the United Way of St. Joseph County
QUALIFICATIONS: Background in Local Community Services
Bachelor’s degree in related field, i.e. social work, public administration, health, nonprofit management with minimum 2 years’ experience, preferred. High School Equivalent with 5 years’ experience in related field will be considered.
Knowledge of local agencies and services.
Good oral and written skills
Good interpersonal skills
Self motivating with good creative skills
REQUIRED SKILLS: Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Ability to work with Volunteers committees, local Government and Not-For-Profits.
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to plan, organize and facilitate meetings and events.
Possess high level of time management and organizational skills.
Ability to engage, motivate and lead a diverse group of constituents including volunteers, staff and community leaders.
Possess excellent analytical, interpersonal, and collaborative problem solving skills.
Possess excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment and database management.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Multi-functional, fast-paced, confidential office setting.
Strong team-work with collegial staff and volunteer relationships.
Ability to deliver materials to companies/agencies.
Ability to clean and maintain a clean desk and common work areas.
Background in Local Community Services
Active Union Member in good standing or be willing to become an Associate Member and/or develop and maintain positive working relationships with union members
Valid driver’s license, automobile/vehicle, vehicle insurance.
Must be able to work beyond normal work hours and on weekends, as needed.
Participate in professional growth opportunities, as indicated and available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Must have the ability to handle stress.
Ability to carry 5-20lbs.
Ability to move files to filing cabinet.
Ability to stand and/or sit and file.