Reports to: VP of Mission Advancement
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. These guidelines may change to meet the specific business needs of United Way of St. Joseph County (UWSJC).
Summary & Scope:
Mission Advancement is the fundraising and marketing department of UWSJC. The MA Associate will be a support to the overall MA team, helping to enhance public perception and awareness of United Way of St. Joseph County’s mission, vision, and role in the community by implementing effective communication strategies, supporting event management and volunteerism, and assisting with accurate data management. Responsible for sharing written and digital stories and helping to communicate with the community in order to increase overall United Way engagement throughout the county. This position will build key relationships, enhance campaign results, and effectively promote and communicate the work of the organization through their efforts. Strong communication, social media, and organizational skills are essential for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
[What is described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.]
- Help to implement the marketing plan for effective communication efforts to create consistency and year-round high visibility for United Way of St. Joseph County. Major categories of communications will include:
- Managing e-newsletter development & distribution,
- Maintain consistent and engaging content across Social Media channels
- Event marketing
- Programs-specific marketing
- Website content updates
- Assess internal and external resources to support marketing efforts and develop key metrics for evaluating success with senior staff.
- Maintain a content calendar of marketing and events, including campaign and fundraising events
- Manage all website updates/maintenance. Work with web services vendor, as needed.
- Manage all external communication and content across all social media networks (original text, images, video, articles, etc.), website, email, press and other media outlets.
- Work collaboratively with senior staff to develop consistent messaging that educates and engages our audience across networks.
- Monitor and analyze social media trends and respond accordingly with our social media strategy and tactics.
- Use photography, video, and related media to produce relevant content for various audiences. Develop and maintain an easily accessible assets library for organizational use.
- Write or ghost-write blog posts, editorials, letters to the editor, articles, etc. and submit to appropriate media outlets with the VP of Mission Advancement’s approval when necessary. Secure media interviews.
- Maintain a full understanding of all aspects of United Way of St. Joseph County’s work in order to clearly market the organization. .
- Follow and implement current marketing trends both within and out of UW networks by attending UW-specific and other trainings/continuing education.
- Facilitate organizational event planning efforts from creative concept development to final execution in coordination with the VP and the Director of Mission Advancement for United Way events.
- Provide logistical and marketing support for campaign events with direction of Director of Mission Advancement.
- Responsible for event implementation (with VP and Director of Mission Advancement), to secure details including, budgets, venue, entertainment, and all other booking, logistics, permits and insurance (when required), recruitment of volunteers, signage, promotion and marketing, and other details as necessary.
- Manage event debriefs and post-event communications, including surveys, thank you communications, lessons learned, and other functions as appropriate.
- Develop event scripts and ensure all printed and online materials (i.e. save the date, invite, program, website, email signature lines, and social media) are brand-compliant and that proper promotional efforts have taken place (i.e. PSA’s, newspaper ads, press releases, and social media efforts).
Non-Essential Job Responsibilities
- Administrative functions related to position
- Assist with organizational projects as needed
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred (communications, public relations, marketing, graphic design, advertising, communications design, or visual arts)
- Minimum of two years’ experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines required.Ability to lead and motivate others effectively preferred
- Proven organizational, written, verbal and creative design skills, attention to detail and follow through
- Demonstrated ability to work on computer with Microsoft Office Products, Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Photoshop for desktop publishing and layout/design
- Knowledge of basic HTML and ability to fluently update creative and content on a CMS is preferred
- Ability to multi-task
- Experience with advertising, print and electronic media preferred
Other Skills and/or Abilities:
- Hard worker, ethical, detail oriented, organized team player traits
- Goal driven with demonstrated ability to work independently and achieve results
- Possess a valid driver’s license and insured motor vehicle
Work Environment: The candidate should be able to show the ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment with a high adaptability to change. Ability to work around loud noises. Ability to help deliver materials to companies/agencies. Ability to attend United Way events during evenings and weekends. Ability to clean and maintain a clean desk and common work areas.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Must have the ability to handle stress. Ability to lift and carry 5-20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include appropriate vision needed to drive as required for a valid driver’s license. Ability to move files to filing cabinet. Ability to stand and/or sit and file. Must have reliable transportation.
United Way of St. Joseph County is an AA/EOE and welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.